Monday, June 11, 2007

what has transpired

Today I took the kids to a nearby water park. Three of my sisters came too--thank goodness they were there. I felt very ready to be done by the end of the afternoon. All that stomping around on cement is not easy on a nine-months-pregnant body. It was a lot of fun, and all three of the boys loved it. I'm thankful that our kids all love the water. Grant and Emmett are a couple of crispity crunchety lobster children, even though I put sunscreen on them. I should have done a second coat at lunchtime, but I am a bad mother and forgot.

This morning was a hectic mess trying to get ready to go, and of course Emmett picked today to have a battle of wills over what was being served for breakfast. We were out of milk, which, how do you run out of milk when you're milking 4 goats, but somehow we did, which meant that he couldn't have brown sugar and milk on his oatmeal, and had to have applesauce and cinnamon. Which is evidently poisonous. So I set my course for the celestial kingdom back by about 20 years this morning, what with the threats and the yelling and the spanking. Everyone was bawling at one point, but eventually he rallied and ate a goodly portion of his horrifying mush. It's our fault, because we've had the kids out far too late for far too many nights in the recent past, and of course that's going to affect their behavior. But in spite of the terrible beginning, we all had a great day, and they all got to bed on time tonight, and will hopefully sleep in until 9:00 tomorrow morning, just to take the edge off.

Our soap is cured and we've started using it--so far I really like it. John was concerned that the fragrance would give him a headache, but it hasn't, and he hasn't gotten a rash, which he often does from soap. I gave a bar of it to my mom, but she's been keeping it in her car because she likes how nice it smells. She said she wants to buy another bar from me so she can have one to use. That makes me feel happy that it's at least not a crashing disaster. So maybe I'll be able to sell it at the little shop down the road. Probably no one will buy it, just like no one will buy our goats.

Last Saturday we visited my grandma in Grace. She's run a cattle ranch most of her life, with the only consistent help coming from one of my uncles. She's quite a woman. She seems a lot more spry than she did the last time we visited--maybe because it's still the beginning of summer and she hasn't been run ragged yet by all of her house guests, because cattle rancher or not, she's getting on in years, and there are a few people who don't seem to grasp that. So whenever we visit we try to make her life a little easier, by doing such uncommon things as bringing a lot of food with us and cleaning up after ourselves. Kooky vittles.

Friday is baby day, unless our doctor changes his mind and says I'm not close enough. I'm just way too sick of being pregnant, and this way John will get two full weekends at home before he has to get back to the family history mines. So I'm being induced after all, even though I sort of wanted to see what it was like to go into labor on my own. We still haven't decided on a name, because I like grandma names, and John like names that people have actually heard before. I guess we'll see what she looks like when she comes out. In which case I guess she'll be named Bald Red Screamer.